Energy Efficiency Leadership
Tartan has always been a leader in looking for ways to reduce the energy requirements of the homes it builds and the environmental footprint of those who live in them. So it should come as no surprise that we built Canada's first 100% ENERGY STAR® qualified certified community - Ottawa's Jackson Trails - and we now meet and exceed ENERGY STAR® standard in all of the homes we build - from singles and bungalows, through semis and even our Java condo flats. We were also the first Ottawa builder to offer a solar-ready upgrade on all of our single family home and semi-detached models. Now our buyers can easily and more cost-effectively take advantage of free power from the sun to help heat their hot water and further reduce energy costs. All of which saves our buyers on their energy bills while reducing their own personal carbon footprint.
Tartan’s ENERGY STAR® qualified homes lower the cost of ownership, add comfort, and reduce a home’s impact on the environment by meeting the highest standards for:
- High insulation value
- High performance windows
- Tight construction and sealed ducts
- High Efficiency Water Heaters
- Efficient heating and cool equipment
- ENERGY STAR® applicances (as per plan)
Standard in all Tartan homes:
- R50 blown insulation in the attic
- Exterior walls are insulated to R25 value which is achieved by a combination of R20 Batt insulation and R5 rigid foam insulation sheathing. CodeBord® Exterior Insulating sheathing reduces condensation potential and reduces thermal bridging that can cause heating (or cooling) loss.
- Exterior basement walls are insulated with R20 Batt insulation to one foot above the floor
- Garage ceilings are insulated with Icynene to R32 value, where there is a finished room above
- ENERGY STAR® Low E argon windows which are windows with a high performance invisible coating that keeps the heat in during the winter and out during the summer allowing for big, bright windows without wasting energy
- Low expansion foam at all exterior windows and doors plus sealed air ducts in throughout your entire home to reduce leaks, drafts and outdoor noise
- R10 insulation under the concrete in the basement ensures this space stays warm & cozy in the winter and cool & dry in the summer
- ENERGY STAR® high efficiency 95% AFUE (Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency) 2 stage gas furnace with ECM motor meaning 95¢ of every dollar of your heating energy expense warms your home and saves you money.
- Dedicated Heat Recovery Ventilation (HRV) system for better indoor air quality that also maintains moisture levels throughout the year.
- Programmable heating and cooling thermostat to help you use energy only when you need it
- Sealed air ducts in throughout your entire home.
- ENERGY STAR® compliant bathroom fans
- Compact Fluorescent Bulbs (CFL) (as per plan) which use 76% less energy and last 10 times longer than regular light bulbs
- ENERGY STAR® appliances (as per plan) which use significantly less energy than older appliances
The ENERGY STAR® mark is administered and promoted in Canada by Natural Resources Canada. Used with permission.