WE’RE A LEADING BUILDER OF ENERGY STAR® QUALIFIED HOMES
As a leading builder of ENERGY STAR® qualiﬁed homes, our commitment to energy efﬁcient construction reaches back over 15 years so when we built Canada’s ﬁrst community of ENERGY STAR® qualiﬁed homes at Jackson Trails in Ottawa’s west end. Today, we are the leaders in ENERGY STAR® construction, meeting and surpassing ENERGY STAR® current standards on all new freehold homes we build—standards that are veriﬁed on every home by an independent energy efﬁciency auditor.
TARTAN EXCEEDS ENERGY STAR® STANDARDS
The ENERGY STAR® standard requires that homes be 20 percent more energy efﬁcient than homes built only to the building code. But at Tartan, we exceed even the ENERGY STAR® standard, building homes that are 25-30 percent more energy efﬁcient. A home built to these standards consumes 50% less energy than a home built before 2005.
OUR COMMITMENT TO YOU
At Tartan, we’re committed to corporate social responsibility, and we regard building homes to over and above the most recent ENERGY STAR® standard as an important and tangible demonstration of that commitment. Minimizing the environmental footprint of the homes we build beneﬁts not only those who purchase them, but the broader community as well. Energy efﬁcient construction likewise aligns with our twin corporate pillars of innovation and quality, and is a key differentiator for Tartan in the marketplace. It’s a win-win-win for our customers, our company and our community.
SAVINGS BY DESIGN
Enbridge Gas developed the Savings by Design Program to help residential builders achieve improved energy and environmental performance well beyond Ontario Building Code.
As a Savings by Design participant since 2013 and an ENERGY STAR® builder since 2005, Tartan has leveraged the program to continue to build high-performance, natural gas-fueled homes and now has taken steps to bring it to the next level. Working with Mark Rosen of Building Energy Inc., Tartan is staying ahead of the curve to achieve Net Zero homes in the future.
State of the art ENERGY STAR rated high efficiency furnace with 2-stage burner, power humidifier & ECM motor maintains proper moisture levels.
Heat Recovery Ventilation (HRV) system improves indoor air quality by drawing fresh air from the outside while recovering heat from the inside. They also reduce humidity, indoor pollutants, and odours, and remove all water vapor that is produced in the home to ensure there is no moisture that will cause condensation and dampness. HRV systems are designed to operate optimally at a low energy consumption level and can recover up to five times more energy than they cost to operate resulting in impressive cost savings.
High quality, heavyweight, extra strong limited lifetime profile architectural shingles.
Low expansion foam at all exterior windows and doors plus sealed air ducts in unfinished basements to reduce leaks, drafts and outdoor noise
Exterior basement walls are insulated with R24 insulation to the floor and R10 value insulation under the basement floor.
ENERGY STAR® rated windows with a high performance invisible coating that keeps the heat in during the winter and out during the summer. Plus they are tightly sealed with low expansion foam to prevent drafts and reduce extra noise.
Every light in a Tartan home includes LED bulbs, which use 80% less energy and last up to 50 times longer than standard bulbs, resulting in fewer lightbulbs to change throughout your home.
Exterior walls are insulated to R27 value which is achieved by a combination of BATT insulation and exterior foam insulation sheathing and sealed in house wrap to help reduce condensation and heating or cooling loss.
R70 blown insulation in the attic.
Canada's Top Energy Star Builder
Tartan has been building ENERGY STAR® qualified communities longer than any builder in Canada. In 2013, we were recognized for our commitment to energy efficiency by being named Canada’s national ENERGY STAR® HIGH EFFICIENCY New Homes Builder of the Year and were a finalist for the 2016 award.
At Tartan, we’re committed to corporate social responsibility, and we regard building homes to or above the most current ENERGY STAR® standard as an important and tangible demonstration of that commitment. Minimizing the environmental footprint of the homes we build benefits not only those who purchase them, but the broader community as well. Energy efficient construction likewise aligns with our twin corporate pillars of innovation and quality, and is a key differentiator for Tartan in the marketplace. It’s a win-win-win for our customers, our company and our community. And it’s included!
Energy Star® Standards
Tartan’s ENERGY STAR® qualified homes lower the cost of ownership, add comfort, and reduce a home’s impact on the environment by meeting the highest standards for:
- High insulation value
- High performance windows
- Tight construction throughout and sealed ducts in unfinished basements
- High Efficiency Water Heaters
- Efficient heating and cooling equipment
- ENERGY STAR® appliances (as per plan)
- Reduced on-site construction waste
Standard Tartan Energy Efficiency Features
Standard features in every Tartan home include:
- R70 blown insulation in the attic
- Exterior walls are insulated to R25 (R20 batt insulation plus R5 exterior sheathing) and wrapped with house wrap
- Exterior Insulating sheathing reduces condensation potential and reduces thermal bridging that can cause heating (or cooling) loss
- Exterior basement walls are insulated with R24 batt insulation to the floor and framed
- Garage ceilings are insulated with Icynene foam insulation to R32 value, where there is a finished room above making sure it is warm & cozy
- ENERGY STAR® Low E (invisible high performance coating) argon gas filled windows keep the heat in during winter and out during summer which reduce energy costs by reducing energy loss
Low expansion foam at all exterior windows and doors throughout the home plus sealed air ducts in unfinished basements to reduce leaks, drafts and outdoor noise
- ENERGY STAR® high efficiency 95% AFUE (Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency) 2 stage gas furnace with flow-through humidifier and electronically commutated motor (ECM) meaning 95¢ of every dollar of your heating energy expense warms your home and saves you money
- Dedicated Heat Recovery Ventilation (HRV) system for better indoor air quality and humidity control
- Programmable heating and cooling thermostat to help you use energy only when you need it
- LED light bulbs throughout (as per plan) which use 80% less energy and last 20 times longer than regular light bulbs
- ENERGY STAR® appliances (as per plan) which use significantly less energy than older appliances
Insulated garage door
- R10 Insulation under the concrete basement floor making the basement warmer and allowing for more flooring choices in the basement
*The ENERGY STAR® mark is administered and promoted in Canada by Natural Resources Canada. Used with permission. As per plan’ refers to working drawings submitted for building purposes or supplier’s plans at time of construction which may vary from models, brochure elevation and plans. Specifications may not apply to pre-built inventory prior to this release. E & OE